Many first-time sellers are unsure of what standards and expectations they should hold their Realtor to. Today I’d like to bring some clarity to this subject by highlighting five key things all sellers should demand of their agent.
- Demand honesty about home value. Before discussing value with their agent, many sellers will attempt to crunch the numbers on their own by looking to online tools such as the Zillow Zestimate. Sometimes their estimation is accurate, but it often is not. This is why it’s important to expect transparency from your agent when the time comes to discuss the value of your property.
- Make sure the agent understands your reason for selling. People sell homes for many different reasons. Whether you’re an investor, upsizing, downsizing, or have another motivation entirely, your agent must have a clear understanding of your reason for selling.
- Make sure your agent is aware of your time frame. Whether you need to sell quickly or are in no rush, you need to communicate this to your agent in order to develop an appropriate strategy for your needs.
- Demand as few obstacles and challenges as possible. An experienced agent will know how to predict and avoid potential pitfalls throughout the transaction. For example, while pet owners may not notice an odor in their home, a buyer certainly may. A quality Realtor will understand how to adjust their approach to your listing in accordance with these kinds of circumstances.
- Demand a smooth transaction. Selling a home is often very stressful, so a major aspect of your agent’s role should be to alleviate some of this for you. Going above and beyond on your behalf is the mark of a quality Realtor.
These demands are a good start, but there are many more things you should expect from your agent through the listing process. To see the full list, click here.
If you have any other questions or would like more information, feel free to give me a call or send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you soon.